Monday, July 14, 2008

Monday Plan Menu



I have to report that the Crockpot Carnitas are out of this world good! I used a dry-rubbed pork butt that was 3.4 lbs from Gartner's and the verde sauce from Trader Joe and it was awesome! We had quesadillas last night using the pork, some pinto beans, and little bit of cheese- Yum!

Monday:
Breakfast- Diy- do it yourself [Solomon had cereal, Cyrus had toast with sunflower butter, and I am having toast with butter]
Lunch- Cheese tortellini with pesto, summer sausage slices, and carrot sticks.
Dinner- Hamburgers for the kids with apple slices and tuna fish sandwich for me [we didn't get to this last week]

Tuesday:
Breakfast- Muffins and fruit smoothie
Lunch- eating out with Pizza
Dinner- Carnitas Quesadillas

Wednesday:
Breakfast- Fruit smoothie with toast
Lunch- No idea yet
Dinner- Open my fridge and make magic happen

Thursday:
Breakfast- Toast with egg
Lunch- Pizza Roll ups from Picky Palate and I will probably add some shredded spinach to the filling.
Dinner- Picnic to take to see Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory at an outdoor theatre at the Washington Park- so excited! I'll be making chicken salad to serve with crackers or on top of a bed of lettuce. We'll see what I get at the Farmers Market for fruits and vegetables. I'll make some cookies too.

Friday:
Breakfast- Waffles with crushed fresh strawberries on top
Lunch- Leftover chicken/chicken salad with some fixins on the side
Dinner- Trying another crockpot recipe: Chicken Tortilla Soup [I'll add more vegetables like carrots to the mixture and serve with brown rice to make it less soupy]

* 1 pound shredded, cooked chicken
* 1 (15 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
* 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 2 cups water
* 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
* 1 teaspoon cumin
* 1 teaspoon chili powder
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
* 1 bay leaf
* 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
* 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
* 7 corn tortillas
* vegetable oil

1. Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chiles, and garlic into a slow cooker. Pour in water and chicken broth, and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Stir in corn and cilantro. Cover, and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
3. Lightly brush both sides of tortillas with oil. Cut tortillas into strips, then spread on a baking sheet.
4. Bake in preheated oven until crisp, about 10 to 15 minutes. To serve, sprinkle tortilla strips over soup.

Saturday:
Breakfast- Waffles with strawberries again
Lunch- leftovers from last night
Dinner- Chicken Biryani and here is a recipe that I found online for it and I am not sure if I will use it exactly as I have some research to do.

Sunday:
Breakfast- I'll have muffins on hand for the guys to fend by themselves with
Lunch- Leftover
Dinner- Steaks with a mushroom sauce, potato, and a salad [need a break from all the chicken and it is Dan's last week away from us]

For more menu plan ideas go here!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well rounded menu. :) Willy Wonka at an outdoor theater sounds like a ton of fun!