Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Happy April Fool's Day!

Well I looked over my posts in March when I did a couple of updates and realized that I have been neglecting my poor blog- part of it is trying to figure what I want to do exactly with my blog- have you checked out any of them?!!! Some have specific themes and can be quite the learning experience- some are humorous or well written insights into different lives/families- some have a lot of visitors. Blogging can be a little intimating but really I am just going to do it for the fun of it!

Second reason why I haven't been posting much is because I have been researching and dealing with the changes and upcoming changes. It should be duly noted that I am a scheduler- I love making schedules [lists too!] and I am a Planner so everything is scheduled out in advance- several months- oh why haven't I just learned to go with the flow because life [especially little kids] requires more changes than my schedules can keep up with?!

So back to the point- what changes and what schedules?

First are the changes of my darling husband- his job has him in training right now and he is currently away during the week for the next 4 months. A rotating schedule when he is done with that- which shouldn't be too bad. Then he would like to work the afternoon schedule for work which is 4 days 10 hours starting at 4pm and going until 2am. Plus overtime here and there because my man likes to work [very good work ethics] and the job can be demanding. So I started thinking about how that would work with our family and its [wait for it...] schedule?

Second is my older son's school experiences: the first half of the year at this one particular school was a very poor fit for our family. We switched to our neighborhood public elementary which is a fine school [even has those high ranking marks you would want to see in a school even though I question the method of how we rank each school...] and it is going better but I don't love it. So I started thinking about homeschooling more and more- yes I thought about it when Solomon was 3 years old- put those thoughts away with an awesome Preschool when he was 4 years old and now I am convinced. I got to be crazy after being around nearly 24/7 the kids- my first one for 5.5 years and with two for almost 4 years that I don't want a break from them. Yeah I do, but I miss them even more when we're apart. A big issues is that I hated school and so far Solomon doesn't love it and it doesn't offer his favorite subject- Science. In fact science is almost absent in our area's elementary schools [don't argue with me- I checked out 15 elementary schools and time away from Blog equals time to do school research]. We are trying to get him by lottery luck into the one school that I would be thrilled to have him attending [it even has science] but we don't know yet if he got in or not [those things take time] so in the meantime I have been thinking about another plan, another schedule!

So I have been reseaching homeschooling, subjects, how to, socialization, how I have a small life too, etc I am really excited about this opportunity and I feel bad that Solomon is my guinea pig but we all have to start somewhere and with someone. Solomon likes this idea because we'll be studying things he likes: volcanoes, castles, dinosaurs, answers to why questions, along with reading [him and me to him], writing, art projects [never to young to start with Photography], those very important math skills [Solomon likes Math already so that is a great start!], storytelling, theatre, Geography, History, more time for physical education [Solomon loves being active], our Foreign Language will be Sign Language [perhaps Arabic in 2 years], music [lessons on something somewhere], Nature, and of course those important life skills like good manners, cooking, and doing work out in the community [we already donate our time at Oregon Food Bank].

No comments: